Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Of sleep, and waking up early.......!!!!

Here i am...at 1 in the morning, laying on my bed listening to a CD of classic oldies that my roomie just got. Not able to catch up some sleep and worrying about the early morning meeting i got tomorrow.

Not able to wake up early has been my incessant problem right from school days. What with this myth that early morning studies are more effective and concentration levels will be high. This has raked a havoc in my student life. Not that i really studied hard at any time...but things got worse after joining my junior college.

I joined a college in Vizag, where my uncle was a lecturer. He is an ardent believer in this waking up early theory and generally use to finish his breakfast by 4.30AM.
Massive efforts were launched to wake me up early and make me study. Two alarm clocks, those steel ones that produce high decibel rings were procured. And when i go to bed, these two monsters were made to sit on both sides of the pillow, with in touching distance of my ears. The alarms were adjusted in such a way that, once one alarm completes the ring, the other will start!!!

They scared me so much that i couldnt get any sleep at all. I use to stare at them till late in the night imagining them in the forms of various demons that i had read about in hindu mythology. Some times i use to dream of lord krishna coming back to earth and saving the mankind by destroying all the alarm clocks in the world.

One thing i forgot to mention was about my sleeping habits. God's grace bestowed on me such superhuman powers of sleeping. The effort required to wake me up was humungous. When ever i slept alone in the house, i had to sleep very near to a window with a long stick on the other side. If i have to wake up and open the door, it was only possible if some one pokes with that stick at me for a considerable amount of time.

With such sleeping skills, the alarm clocks were of no use. They use to ring for such a long time in the morning that they woke up everbody in our house and all neighbouring houses. But good god! I wont even move a bit. With increasing complaints from neighbours, my uncle stopped using these alarms. But Alas! that was no relief for me. He started using a mug full of water to wake me up in the morning!!!

I had to find new ways of escaping this trauma. With those splashes of water, i use to wake up only to find my self in a miserable state. After few days, i was struck with an idea. Complaining that it was very cold in the mornings, I started sitting in the kitchen saying its warm there. It was very cozy and with no one observing, i could happily snooze off with the book under my head.

It went well for few days untill one day when the boiling water on the stove has overflown and took my back as path to the ground. There were big boils on my back and i could easily bunk my college for 3 weeks.

People, thus ended those efforts to wake me up early. No one ever ventured again, atleast for academic purposes!!!

Enough of blogging for tonight.....now that i finished listening to the CD and with even radio city playing songs that are best unheard, lemme switch the light off and get under covers.......!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, Loved reading your blogs, keep'em coming. BTB, I'm one other born sleepiez & I had this poster which said "Nidraa-Bangam mahaa Paapam" in my hostel room.

:)

13 August, 2004 06:09  
Blogger Sriram said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

18 August, 2004 06:41  
Blogger Sriram said...

Hi Mr./Mrs./Ms. Anonymous,
Thanx for your comments....
You had a good poster i say...regret me not having such idea when it could hv been most useful...

18 August, 2004 07:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home